While injecting medication can seem intimidating, our WeightWise Rx™ program uses a tiny insulin needle so you'll barely feel it. For detailed instructions including dosage tips, please review this handout and watch this video.
Step 1) Decide where to inject yourself and clean with an alcohol pad
- The most common area to inject is in the stomach.
- You can also inject the back of your arms or the upper leg.
- Choose an area where you can pinch the skin to inject the medication into your fatty tissue.
- You do not want to inject into muscle Clean the injection area with an alcohol pad.
Step 2) Lay materials out on a clean surface
- Medication – remove from the refrigerator just before use
- Insulin Syringe - marked in units
- Alcohol wipes
- Puncture-proof container (like a plastic milk carton) to dispose of the needle safely
- Band aid (if needed)
Step 3) Prepare medication for injection
- Double check the dose on your prescription label
- Refer to the the table to the right as reference for dosing + units on syringe (ex. 0.25 mg = 10 units on syringe)
- Remove lid on vial and wipe top surface clean with an alcohol pad
- Remove cap of the syringe
- Draw as much air into the syringe as you intend to withdraw from the medication vial
- With the syringe held in your dominant hand, inject the air into the medication vial
- Turn the vial upside down and pull back on the plunger "slowly" until you have reached your prescribed dosage
- Inspect the syringe for proper dosing. Air pockets or bubbles may be present. To get rid of bubbles, you may have to tap gently on the side of the syringe, or push the medication back into the vial, and then pull out your dose again*
Step 4) Inject Medication
- Hold the syringe in your dominant hand as if you are holding a pencil or dart
- At the clean injection site, pinch or gather skin (see photo)
- Insert needle into skin at a 90-degree angle
- While inserted, slowly push on the syringe plunger until all medication has been injected
- Apply band aid (if needed)
Step 5) Discard Used Syringe
- Cover syringe needle with cap
- Discard in puncture-proof container and store safely for future disposal